This is a community for all the cute LJ dorks out there! We accept both male and female dorks, so we encourage everyone to apply! We are not your typical rating community- We're more interested with what's in your application than your pictures. And yes, this is a rating community. If you have a problem with that, then please leave.
1. What makes a person dorky? Dorky used to be the province of the outsider, the socially inept, the loner with no cachet. The one sitting by themselves at the lunch table or surrounded by a clot of others with extreme, deep interests in common. The one you'd ask to do your homework or fix your computer, but never dream of engaging in actual friendly interactions with.
No more. Dorkiness is a social movement. Dorkiness is shaping the world in ways we still only have a dim understanding about. Dorkiness is a quality necessary in the most valued workers and desired in those who have learned to adapt to this new society we live in, which increasingly values broad realms of knowledge and highly focused expertise. The Dork, the geek, the nerd...phrases of the past, co-opted into badges of pride. The Dork is befriended and the Dork is loved and... the Dork is now hot. The looks may have been always there, but the Dorky mind is breathtaking to those who appreciate it. The person who quotes Harry Potter verbatim is a Dork. The one who spends hours configuring GNU is a Dork. Dork is the new Cool. If you are reading this, own a LiveJournal, use the Internet regularly...face it, you are a Dork. Join us and enjoy some of the coolest things this Internet has to offer.
2. What makes someone a dorky hottie? Basically, you're a Dorky Hottie if you fall into the above category and are cute. Looks are a secondary thing here, but definitely nice to have. Basically, if you or others think you are cute, then you're most likely Dorky Hottie material.
If we love your personality, we will most likely love you as well. (No joke! Pictures are required, but we don't really care what you look like.)
1. We have an age limit of 16. If you are younger than 16, then come back and apply later. There will be no exceptions. Even if we really, really like you.
2. LJ-cut your application! <*lj-cut text="Insert Text Here"> at the beginning, and <*/lj-cut> at the end. Take out the stars! (This is included in the application for you because we're just that nice. If you mess it up, prepare to feel like a moron.)
3. No commenting, posting, or voting on anything other than your application until you have been accepted into the community. We do encourage you to reply to votes in your application! It gives us a chance to get to know you better.
4. Decisions will be made 5 days after you apply. In the chance of a tie, the MODs will talk it over and make a final decision.
5. If you are rejected, you can re-apply a week after the date you receive your rejection stamp.
6. In the subject line, put "I'm a Doctor, Not a _____!" so that we know you are new, and also so we know that you read the rules. You may fill in the blank with something funny if you wish :-)
7. Pictures are a must! We may not be your average rating community, but we still are a rating community. If you don't agree with our ways, then don't waste your time complaining, just leave (please). No Nudity.
8. Please, please, please don't put any one-word answers. Detail is key. Put some thought into it; you won't get in with a half-assed application.
9. You should NEVER say "because I'm a dork" or anything to that extent anywhere in your application. We just don't like that. Explain why instead of just saying "because."
10. PLEASE try to make your application easy to read! You can add colors to it if you like, but please, no blinding neon green or yellow. We've also bolded everything for you. Do not mess that up, please. Also, WRITE EVERYTHING AFTER the < /B>, otherwise everything will be bolded! And that's a headache to read.
11. Finally, no arguing with already accepted members! Sarcasm is fine and dandy, but rudeness will not get you anywhere. If you're a complete ass, then prepare to be rejected.
12. DO NOT use rich-text editor or your application will be messed up. No one will want to read it and it's also very annoying.
What makes a Dorky Hottie MOTM Material? Member of the Month status is mainly based on how active you are in the community, coupled with how dorky your posts are- Quantity and Quality of participation.
How is MOTM decided? The Moderators will usually keep track of how active each member is during a month. Every time you post of participate in a theme, you will earn points, which vary depending on the difficulty of each theme or activity. On the first of the following month, the most active member (or the member with the most points) will be awarded the Member of the Month banner. In some cases, activity has been very close and the members have been decided by a vote or a poll where all the members of the community can participate in selection of the MOTM.
Points: General post in the community (Picture, video, poll, etc): 5 points Replying to a Discussion Thread: 5 points Suggesting a theme here: 10 points Picspam of yourself/friends: 10 Points Posting a discussion thread (Subject line must read 'Discussion Thread - (Your topic here)'): 10 points Creation of a music quiz (Like this one by JD): 15 points Theme Participation: 15 points Difficult/Time-Consuming theme participation (like cross-dressing picspam, etc.): 20-25 Points (at MODs' discression)
Rules: -MODS are not eligible for Member Of The Month (Unless we are like the only ones who posted that month, or something) -A person *can* be elected MOTM more than once, and can be elected several months in a row. (To inspire active posting) -A person's status as MOTM is earned by their participation from the previous month- Therefore, the first MOTM for DH will be the MOTM for August, but the points to earn the title are collected in July (this month). The MOTM for September will have earned their points in August, etc. -After two consecutive months of winning MOTM, the current MOTM has to gracefully step aside for one month in order to give someone else a chance to earn the title. After that month has passed, however, everyone is eligible for MOTM again.
(A) VOTING: (Voting Guidelines from HD: 12) 1. Put your vote in the subject line or put it in bold. If it's not in the subject line or if it's not bold, it will NOT be counted. 2. Give reasons for your vote. If you do not give any reason for your yes or no vote, your vote will NOT be counted. REMEBER- Dorky Content should count for 75% of your vote whereas looks should only count for 25% of your vote. 3. Both Yes and No votes should consist of several legitimate reasons- For example, if someone does not come across as dorky at all but happens to like one of your favorite movies, don't vote 'Yes' solely for that. Vise Versa, if someone does come across as a Dorky Hottie in their application but doesn't like your favorite movie don't vote 'No' solely for that. 4. Be honest but not cruel. ALWAYS give reasons for your vote. You don't need to be "sugar-coated" but give details without coming off as a complete ass. 5. If all Mods vote 'no' on an application that has majority "yes" votes, the applicant is rejected. However, if all Mods vote "yes" on an application with majority "no" votes, that does not mean the applicant is accepted. 6. If you miss voting on 10 applications in a row, you are kicked out of the community and will be forced to re-apply.
(B) NO ARGUING 1. If you have a problem with one of the members, keep it outside the community! We're not asking you to like them; just don't bring that drama to the community. MODs are not here to baby-sit you. 2. Arguing could even possibly result in a ban. 3. No flame wars/flaming/trolling/etc. It's just childish and annoying.
(C) PROMOTING OTHER COMMUNITIES 1. Promoting IS allowed. 2. You can promote more than one community in a post. 3. Feel free to give us an idea of what the community you're promoting is like. What's it all about? Why are you promoting it? 4. Keep it classy- no need to list the community name out 50 times with flashing graphics and marquee text. That type of post feels more like spam than a promotion.
(D) PROMOTING US 1. Please promote us in your userinfo. You can use <*lj comm="dorky_hotties"> (take out the star)
(E) POSTS 1. You can post about anything and everything. (With the exception: No Nudity. Nothing that is not work safe unless it is a link to some other webpage with a "Not Work Safe" Warning.) 2. If your post contains more than one picture, please place it behind an LJ-cut. This goes for extremely long posts as well. 3. You are allowed one teaser picture. Put the rest behind a cut. 4. If you are posting icons, you are allowed up to 4 teasers. Just because 4 is a good number. 5. If you don't know how to use an LJ-cut... <*lj-cut> at the beginning, <*/lj-cut> at the end. To add text, use <*lj-cut text="Place Text Here"> instead of <*lj-cut>. TAKE OUT THE STARS
(F) STAY ACTIVE 1. We don't like to kick people out, but if you don't post/comment/vote at all, MODs will notice, and we just might kick you out of the community, meaning you would have to apply again. 2. If you miss voting on 10 applications in a row without prior warning to MODs about hiatus and whatnot, this will result in being kicked from the community and being forced to re-apply. 3. If you are going to be inactive because of vacations, school, etc... please make a post or contact one of the MODs prior to your vacation, etc...